Hot dogs are an amazingly easy keto dinner, but can be sort of depressing if you aren’t the bread-substitute kind of person. I’ve always opted for popping them in the microwave on a plate with some chili and cheese unceremoniously plopped on top…but not anymore. This is a game changer- yielding an equally delicious dinner that is significantly less sad looking.
Did I mention it’s also the simplest thing ever?
Step one: Cut up some hot dogs. Coat them in chili. Put half in a ramekin.
Step two: Put some cheese on top.
Repeat. Bake. Eat.
I went the classic comfort food route, using American cheese and canned chili- something I had often in my childhood. But you could easily make this with leftover homemade chili and different kinds of cheeses. You could even do different flavored sausages, mix with a pre-made sauce and different cheese (Cajun sausage, alfredo, and mozzarella/parmesan anybody?). The possibilities are really endless here.
- 3 hot dogs of your choice (I used Applegate 100% Beef)
- 4 tbsp Chili (I used Castleberry’s Hot Dog Chili Sauce)
- Cheese (I used two slices of American cheese)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut up hot dogs and mix the pieces with chili.
- Place half in a ramekin.
- Place a layer of cheese.
- Repeat again with the hot dogs and chili, then top with cheese.
- Bake until hot and bubbling.