I have found myself in a vegetable rut. Broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, over and over again. I have decided to branch out and face my childhood fears and try cooking some new veggies! Before I made these, I had never had brussels sprouts before. I’m super glad I tried them! They were delicious-not too strong tasting at all-and were enjoyed by both me and my carb eating boyfriend. I think the key here is getting some nice color on the sprouts- of course, the bacon doesn’t hurt, either!
Bacon Brussels Sprouts
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon (I used Smithfield)
- 16oz raw brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 tbsp butter
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Fry your bacon over medium heat. When cooked, remove from the pan and chop into bite size pieces.
- Melt the butter into the bacon grease in the pan, then add your brussels sprouts, cut side down.
- Let them cook there for awhile. You want to get some nice color on there. Once they are sufficiently browned (or charred! I personally like the taste and texture with sprouts), add bacon pieces and garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste and sautè until they are the tenderness you desire. I like them with a little bite.
Per serving (4 servings): 173 calories | 10g carbs | 4g fiber | 6g protein | 13g fat