Tonight was one of those nights where I was in the mood for something different to eat, but didn’t have the will or remote desire to leave the house in search of something different. Plus, I had food in the fridge that I definitely didn’t want to go bad…so I made myself some zucchini boats! I had some Rao’s tomato sauce left, as well as some mozzarella and green pepper, so I figured it was perfect for pizza stuffed zucchini! However, I forgot that I had eaten the last of the pepperonis (Have you ever tried microwaving them until they get crispy and chip-like? So good!) …so I decided to use some of the chicken thighs that I had leftover, and I’ve gotta say, it was pretty dang good.
Since this definitely was an I-need-something-delicious-but-really-don’t-want-to-leave-the-house kind of meal, there are definitely things that could kick it up a notch, but I wanted to show you exactly how I did it, in case you’re in the same (zucchini) boat as I am.
Some tasty substitutions might be:
- fresh onions instead of onion powder
- sausage, pepperoni, or BOTH instead of chicken (you could also skip the seasoning if that’s the case)
- sliced fresh mozzarella instead of shredded (drool..)
- The possibilities are endless! Make it your own! Just remember to change the nutrition information as needed.
Chicken Pizza Zucchini Boats: Serves one.
Nutrition: 366 calories | 6g net carbs | 25g protein | 28g fat (I did not include seasonings, as I used an extremely small amount)
- 1 small zucchini, split in half and hollowed out (mine weighed 88g when hollowed out)
- 26g chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 72g boneless chicken thigh, cut into pieces
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp grated parmesan
- 1/4c Rao’s pizza sauce (use whatever you like, but adjust macros accordingly, Rao’s is low in carbs)
- 28g shredded, part-skim mozzarella
- Dried oregano
- Dried basil
- Red pepper flakes
- Onion powder
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a small baking dish. Place the zucchini boats in the dish and set aside.
- Heat olive oil and butter together in the pan. While the pan is heating up, season your cut up chicken- I used salt & pepper, and sprinkled oregano and basil on top. (Since this is such a small portion, I don’t have exact measurements, but it’s sure to taste delicious however you do it!)
- Sauté chicken in the olive oil/butter mixture with the chopped green peppers. Sprinkle in a little bit of onion powder (1 or 2 shakes) and some red pepper flakes. Cook until chicken is not pink. During the last minute, add your minced garlic to the pan, then spoon the contents of the pan into a small bowl.
- To the small bowl, add your parmesan and pizza sauce (and add more red pepper flakes if you like it spicy!). Mix it together, and spoon into your zucchini boats.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
- When zucchini is tender (when a fork goes into it easily) and everything is hot, remove the foil, and top the boats with cheese.
- Place back in the oven and turn on the broiler until the cheese is melted and starting to brown. Enjoy!!