I can’t wait for fall, and I’m not talking about the cooler weather, changing leaves, or pumpkin flavored everything…I’m talking about the traffic. Now that Charleston, SC has been named one of the best places to travel by magazines for years in a row, there is no “quick run” to the store. Oh, no. Not in the summer, certainly.
I was on my way back home and was super hungry and thirsty, so I decided to run by Chick-Fil-A for some grilled nuggets and a Diet Dr. Pepper (tell me why it’s specifically Chick-Fil-A’s Diet Dr. Pepper that tastes so good?!)…what should have been a 2 minute drive turned into a 10 minute crawl only to find that the line was so long I couldn’t even get in…so I drove home, hangry and sad…
and then I made these, so everything’s okay now! I would not call these Chick-Fil-A grilled nugget copycats by any means, but between the buffalo-ranch sauce mixture (which is a must have whenever I have nuggets or strips) and the dill pickle slices, it had enough ‘essence of Chick-Fil-A’ to satisfy my taste buds (although I did miss that Diet Dr. Pepper, but it was probably better to skip the artificial sugar anyway!)
Panfried Chicken Fingers: Serves 1. 445 calories | 1g net carb | 22g protein | 41g fat
- 4.4oz boneless chicken thigh
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 20 cranks of freshly cracked black pepper from a pepper mill
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 pinch (about 1/16 tsp) poultry seasoning
- Heat your olive oil and butter together in a small pan over medium heat while you cut chicken into strips and combine your spices in a small bowl.
- Rub spices evenly on each chicken piece, then place in pre-heated pan.
- Do not disturb the chicken too much while cooking, you want it to crisp up nicely; flip it over once when it looks about halfway cooked through, then let it cook the rest of the way undisturbed on the other side.
- Serve by itself or with any sauce and side you want! I served with dill pickle slices and mixture of 1 tbsp buffalo sauce and 1 tbsp buttermilk ranch.